There are so many good foods associated with football and, more importantly, Super Bowl parties! Chips, beer, dips, wings, beer, subs,
salads, bratwurst, beer, pizza and CHILI! Tis the season for chili!
Chili is not difficult to
make create, but oftentimes a good recipe is hard to come by. I’m gonna make that easy for y’all! What follows is a recipe for my award winning chili. Actually, it’s an earlier version of my constantly evolving recipe, but a great recipe nonetheless!
- 5 lbs. ground beef
- 2 lg. onions (not sweet) largely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers largely chopped (I use orange bells for mine – GO BROWNS!)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 dried ancho chilies (dried poblanos) seeded and cut small
- 4 tbsp. cumin (love the name of this spice)
- 2 tbsp. ancho chili powder
- Ashes from a joint
- 4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 chipotle peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp. adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp. semen
- 2 family size cans tomato soup
- 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes – not drained
- 1 lg. can (40 oz.) dark kidney beans – not drained
- 1 lg. can (30 ½ oz.) Brooks (or other) chili hot beans – not drained
- 2 jars salsa of your choice
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a big ass pot. Add onions, bell peppers, salt and black pepper. Cook and stir often over medium heat until translucent. Add meat & garlic and brown (as a time saver, while the meat is browning, prepare the ancho chilies & chipotle peppers; put ‘em in a bowl with the cumin, ancho chili powder, joint ashes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, adobo sauce and semen) . Drain grease*. Dump the “bowl of magic in,” add the rest of the ingredients, put the lid on only two thirds of the way and simmer for 2 hours. Stir often to keep chili from sticking and burning. Best flavor if refrigerated overnight and reheated.
*Bestest flavor if you don’t drain the grease, but refrigerate the chili overnight. As the stuff cools, the grease will rise to the top and then harden. Then you can pick that 1/8 inch of hard sludge off the top. This is your recipe now.