The Browns offense blew yet another game and it’s yet another week in which QB1 Brian Hoyer might lose his job.
Because apparently the QB must make ALL the plays and drag the team to a win according to the media and the stupid Browns fans…
Our defense was freakin’ awesome yesterday; held Colts QB Andrew Luck to his worst game of the season. We picked him off twice, forced him to fumble and sacked him 3 times for 25 yards. That defense scored 14 of our 24 points. Yeah, they gave up the final Colts drive that won the game but I ain’t hanging anything on the defense
Special teams was alright. The return game was average and the coverage game did a pretty good job.
K Billy Cundiff needs to be replaced this week. He sucks. No wonder the Ravens cut him. Dude missed another field goalad it was like is fifth in five games.
Like I said, the offense blew this one. Everyone wants to bench Hoyer and put in Johnny Jackass.
Hoyer’s stat line was horrible. He was 14/31 for 140 yards, no TDs and 2 picks. If ya take the time to really look at Hoyer’s performance, you’ll see that he did what he could with what he has.
I re-watched the game tonight and put all 34 of Hoyer’s dropbacks under a microscope. A quick summary:
Three times the offensive line broke down and Hoyer was forced to scramble.
Of the 17 times Hoyer missed while passing:
WRs recorded 5 drops, three of which were on critical 3rd downs.
2 times routes were half assed or ran incorrectly, once leading to an interception and the other preventing a 1st down.
There WERE three times where Hoyer truly fucked up.
Check it out for yourself. I color coded it for easy reading. If the text is blue, it means the offense or coaches messed up. If it’s red it means Hoyer blew it!
- 1st and 10 – Completed screen pass to WR Josh Gordon for 9 yards.
- 2nd and 10 – Sacked. TE Jordan Cameron gets beat on block. Nobody open.
- 3rd and 7 – Incomplete pass to WR Josh Gordon who gave up on his route across the middle.
- 2nd and 15 after Joe Thomas false start penalty – 6 yard pass over the middle to WR Josh Gordon with Indy LB about to blast him.
- 3rd and 4 – Incomplete pass too high over middle to WR Andrew Hawkins. I thought he was throwing it away because everyone was covered.
- 2nd and 10 – Complete pass deep left to TE Jordan Cameron for 20 yards.
- 2nd and 6 – Intercepted in end zone. TE Jordan Cameron said he ran the wrong route.
- 3rd and 6 – Incomplete short left to WR Taylor Gabriel. Offensive line collapsed, Hoyer scrambled out of a sack and threw it away.
- 1st and 10 – Incomplete short left to TE Jim Dray, who dropped the ball.
- 3rd and 4 – Incomplete short left to WR Travis Benjamin. Hoyer didn’t have his feet set and the throw was off.
- 3rd and 5 – Complete pass short right to TE Jordan Cameron for 10 yards
- 2nd and 9 – Incomplete short right to WR Andrew Hawkins. Offensive line broke down and Hoyer was hit as he threw.
- 3rd and 9 – Incomplete short left to WR Travis Benjamin. Well placed ball bounced right off Benjamin’s chest.
K Billy Cundiff misses a 40 yard Field Goal… Woulda been up 10-0 had he made it.
- 1st and 10 – Complete pass short right to TE Jordan Cameron for 3 yards.
- 2nd and 7 – Incomplete deep middle to WR Taylor Gabriel. This one is on Hoyer. Clean pocket, no pressure and overthrew by almost 10 yards. Woulda been a TD had it been on the money and was caught. Browns “fans” begin booing.
- 3rd and 7 – Complete pass deep middle to WR Travis Benjamin for 27 yards. Nice pass under pressure and redemption!
- 3rd and 8 – Complete pass short right to WR Andrew Hawkins for 12 yards.
- 1st and 10 – Complete screen pass short left to Taylor Gabriel for 12 yards
Isaiah Crowell 9 yard TD run!! We’re up 14-7!
- 1st and 15 after false start penalty on RT Mitchell Schwartz – Incomplete short left to WR Josh Gordon. Well placed ball bounced right off his hands.
- 3rd and 12 – Offensive line breaks down and everyone is covered downfield. Hoyer scrambles for 4 yards.
- 3rd and 7 – Incomplete short right to WR Travis Benjamin. Right on the money but the defender knocked it out.
- 1st and 10 – Incomplete deep right to WR Josh Gordon. This is a tough one. Hoyer just barely overthrew Gordon but Gordon didn’t put a ton of effort into going for the ball. We’ll blame Hoyer, though, ’cause he coulda put some touch on that pass.
- 2nd and 10 – Complete screen pass right to WR Taylor Gabriel for 4 yards.
- 3rd and 6 – Complete pass short left to WR Andrew Hawkins for 3 yards. Poor play calling on this and the previous play.
- 2nd and 7 – Complete pass to TE Jordan Cameron for 8 yards.
- 2nd and 7 – Complete pass to TE Jim Dray for 3 yards.
- 3rd and 4 – Incomplete pass short right to TE Jordan Cameron. Hoyer was a bit off target, but Cameron was interfered with and there was no flag.
- 2nd and 11 – Complete pass short left to WR Andrew Hawkins for 3 yards.
- 3rd and 8 – Incomplete pass short right to WR Andrew Hawkins who was totally mugged on the play and there shoulda been a pass interference call. The ball still bounced off Hawkins’ arm.
Cundiff with a 39 yard field goal. We’re up 24-19 at this point.
- 2nd and 8 – Complete deep pass to WR Andrew Hawkins for 20 yards.
- 3rd and 7 – Hoyer throws a strike to WR Josh Gordon that initially appears to be a 14 yard 1st down. Nope. Gordon didn’t pull the ball in and it hit the ground. The play was challenged and overturned as an incomplete pass.
Indy goes on and puts together an 11 play, 90 yard TD drive to make the score 25-24 after a failed 2 point conversion. Cleveland has 32 seconds to do something.
- 1st and 10 – Incomplete deep left to WR Josh Gordon. Had Gordon caught it we woulda had the ball at the Colts 28 yardline, but it went right through his hands.
- 2nd and 10 – Incomplete across the middle to WR Andrew Hawkins… was damn near picked off. Hoyer got hit after the play so we got 15 yards and a first down off a roughing the passer penalty.
- 1st and 10 – Hoyer throws a pick. WR Travis Benjamin was knocked down by a defender on the play, but there was no flag.
I really don’t care if Hoyer or Manziel is starting, I just want to win! Problem is, I believe the Browns are gonna give up on this season (yeah, a playoff berth would require the planets to align) and stick Manziel in to “see what he can do.”
I don’t like that mentality, because it means they’ve given up on this year while there’s still a slim chance to make the playoffs.
I don’t know what Manziel can do, because we haven’t seen any of him in the NFL other than a lucky garbage time TD drive against the Bills last week.
I know what he can’t do… He can’t read a playbook because he didn’t have one in school. They merely flashed him pictures that designated plays. He can’t call plays in the huddle either.
If the Browns decide to start Manziel for the next three games they will have totally given up on this season and will need to strip down their offense to fit in that degenerate.
Be smart Browns! Keep Hoyer in!